New books: Aboriginal languages of NSW & ACT

Anna Ash MRALC at WESTNET.COM.AU
Tue Nov 25 02:39:49 UTC 2008

Dear list members,

The Muurrbay Aboriginal Language and Culture Co-operative and Many Rivers
Aboriginal Language Centre publishes dictionaries, grammars and language
learning materials on the languages of NSW, particularly those of the
north-eastern region. We would like to announce the launch of three
publications, funded by the NSW Department of Aboriginal Affairs and the
Department of Environment Water, Heritage and the Arts, that will make a
valuable contribution to Aboriginal language research and revitalisation.

Please go to our website (www.muurrbay.org.au) to download an order form
(from the bottom of the publications page) or call if you have any
enquiries, particularly about postage costs: +61 02 6568 5695
·     A handbook of Aboriginal Languages of New South Wales and the
Australian Capital Territory by Jim Wafer, Amanda Lissarrague and Jean
Harkins.
Postage fee for handbook is $10.00 (NSW), $15.00 (Vic, S.A, Qld, Tas) or
$20.00 (N.T, W.A). Please note: international orders and orders of more than
1 book will incur an additional postage fee.

·     Gumbaynggirr Bijaarr Jandaygam, Ngaawa Gugaarrigam: Gumbaynggirr
Dictionary & Learner¹s Grammar by Steve Morelli.

·     Barriyala: Let¹s Work. Gumbaynggirr Language Student Workbooks 1, 2 &
3 by Julie Long.

Handbook of Aboriginal languages of NSW and the ACT
New South Wales was the first part of Australia to be colonised and so the
written records of the state¹s Indigenous languages go back more than 200
years. The body of linguistic information that has accumulated over that
period is considerable, but it is also very uneven in its quality and
coverage. The Handbook distils this information in a way that makes it
easily accessible to a broad audience.
The Handbook combines the functions of both a guidebook and a dictionary. It
runs to just over 830 pages and is divided into two parts: the first part is
a survey of the Indigenous languages of NSW and the ACT (including
Aboriginal English), giving information about dialects, locations, maps, and
resources available for language revitalisation; the second part provides
word-lists in practical spelling for 42 distinct language varieties. There
is also useful information on sign languages and kinship classification, as
well as an appendix on place names.
The Handbook is a valuable reference and educational resource, useful to
Aboriginal people who want to revitalise their languages and to those in the
broader community who simply want to know more about the state¹s rich
linguistic heritage. It will be particularly helpful in the planning and
implementation of primary, secondary and tertiary educational programs
dealing with Aboriginal languages and linguistics.

Gumbaynggirr Bijaarr Jandaygam, Ngaawa Gugaarrigam: Gumbaynggirr Dictionary
& Learner¹s Grammar
The homelands of the Gumbaynggirr lie between the Clarence and the Nambucca
rivers in northern New South Wales. The Baanbay people to the West speak the
same language. As with many Aboriginal Australian languages, Gumbaynggirr
had fewer and fewer speakers and was in danger of extinction. All that
changed in 1986 when a small group of Elders took steps to revive it, and
this book is a tribute to their efforts.
Each year more and more people relearn Gumbaynggirr. Language learning
courses and books, such as this, are an important part of a revival of the
language that belongs to this land. This dictionary builds on an earlier
edition, with many revisions and improvements:
> There are now more than 2700 entries, with revised and expanded definitions.
> An easy-to-read grammar section has been created to help language learners.
> Semantic wordlists help learners to find words of similar things, such as
birds, emotions, insects or artefacts.
> A section on new words allows modern speakers to find Gumbaynggirr equivalents
for numbers, days of the week, household items and so on.
> Additional information on families shows the reader, in words and colour
diagrams, the relationship words that Gumbaynggirr people traditionally used
with each other.
> Two new maps depict the Gumbaynggirr world, and several pictures complement
the word entries.

Barriyala: Let¹s Work ­ Gumbaynggirr Language Student Workbooks 1, 2 & 3
These workbooks have been designed to support Gumbaynggirr Language learning
in primary schools. There is a separate workbook for each primary school
stage, each building on students¹ prior learning. It is recommended that the
workbooks be used in conjunction with Junga-Ngarraangala Gumbaynggirr, the
Gumbaynggirr Primary Language Program; they are not intended to be
stand-alone workbooks.
These workbooks provide a range of activities that will reinforce language
learnt in the classroom.  The activities are divided into eight different
themes based on aspects of Gumbaynggirr culture, with associated language
tasks. Julie Long, with the support of Muurrbay staff, presents a series of
interesting and culturally appropriate language activities that draw on her
wealth of classroom experience.

--
Anna Ash
Coordinator-linguist