Opinion piece in The Australian newspaper on Indigenous education in NT

John Bowden john.bowden at ANU.EDU.AU
Tue Sep 16 23:55:33 UTC 2008

Hi to all

I thought members of the list might be interested in an opinion piece in
today's online 'Australian' which speaks of poor performance in remote
schools in the Northern Territory and makes some derogatory claims about
bilingual education programs. I've cut and pasted the first couple of
paragraphs below. It appears as a blog in the online edition of the Oz,
so anyone can make a comment. Full link to article appears below the
exctract.

Best wishes to all
John

  Separatist schooling a failure in the NT

Helen and Mark Hughes

*WHEN we drew attention to the failures of Northern Territory schooling
in April this year, our report, Indigenous Education in the Northern
Territory, was said to be poorly researched, relying on sensationalist
and emotive anecdotes of one-off instances. NT Education Minister Marion
Scrymgour described our analysis as a flimsy and selective diatribe
about remote education in the territory. The release of this year's
national literacy and numeracy test results unfortunately vindicated our
analysis.*

The NT performed abysmally on every indicator. Queensland and Western
Australia also had lower achievement levels, but they were not of the
same crisis proportions as the territory. In these two states and the
NT, the failure to deliver mainstream education to children in welfare
dependent indigenous communities was the cause of poor performance.

for the full article see
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24357436-5013480,00.html