Example Numbering in Word

Stephen Morey S.Morey at LATROBE.EDU.AU
Thu Sep 18 04:01:52 UTC 2008

Dear RNLD members,

Some time ago I learned about Susanna Cumming's very useful Word for
Linguists site, and learned how to do example numbering so that both
example numbers and the references to those examples automatically
update - very useful.

Does anybody know whether it is possible to make the numbering start
afresh from (1) when you have a new chapter heading, which would be a
Heading 1 in the Word hierarchy?

I asked Alec Coupe about this, and his response is below; but that's
rather laborious and would be almost insurmountable with the over 1000
examples I have in one draft grammar. Can anyone help?

Stephen Morey

<ALEC COUPE'S RESPONSE FOLLOWS>

Hi Stephen,

I just tried putting in a section break in a document with a series of
automatically numbered examples in order to create a new section from
that point onward, but that did not cause the automatic numbering field
below the break to revert to (1) when I updated the fields, e.g.
1
2
3
SECTION BREAK
4
5
7

So then I tried removing the auto numbering field from the first example
below the section break, then selected 'insert' > 'field' etc and
repeated the whole process of manually inserting the first
sequentially-numbered field. This had the desired effect of restarting
at (1), e.g.

1
2
3
SECTION BREAK
1
5
6
7

However, the numbers below did not update consecutively, but remained in
sequence with those of the previous section. The only thing I could do
to resolve this was to copy the newly created field of (1) below the
section break and paste it over all the numbers below (1) in the new
section, then select all > F9 to update fields. This had the desired
effect, e.g.

1
2
3
SECTION BREAK
1
2
3
4

There must be a less laborious way around this, but I don't know what it
is, other than having the foresight to manually insert an auto numbering
field afresh each time one starts a new chapter. I have noticed in the
past that sometimes when I copy and paste sequentially numbering fields
from another document, they fail to sequentialise when I update the
fields, but am not sure why this happens unless it is connected to the
work-around described above. If you are able to work it out, please
share the resolution with me.

Alec