Siraya petition

Chun Jimmy Huang huangc20 at UFL.EDU
Thu Apr 2 16:11:17 UTC 2009

Hi all,

My name is Chun (Jimmy) Huang. I am the person who created the
English version of Siraya petition (based on a Chinese version
designed by the Tainan Pingpu Siraya Culture Association).

I would like to first thank Dr. Florey for introducing me to this
list. I just subscribed to the list yesterday and have read in the
archive discussions about the Siraya petition. I want to thank
everyone who has contributed. Your opinions are all valid. And I
really appreciate Dr. Poser's summary of the situation in Taiwan.
His interpretation is indeed quite correct.

Here are some of my thoughts concerning linguistic activism.
Basically, I believe that everything is politics. Especially,
since most of us here, through our experiences doing
anthropological or descriptive linguistics in the real world,
could perceive language/culture (instead of "language, and
culture"), and politics is part of human culture, it seems to me a
strange idea to separate "linguistic work" from "political work".
My feeling is that many linguists have shunned away from (talking
about/ participating in) politics, even though they do encounter
politics when they carry out their work, because of the Western
scientific idea of objectivism.

For example, my task in the Siraya association started out
concerning "language proper" only. I participated in
re-constructing our sleeping ancestral language through
researching existing texts and academic writing. Then I helped
design some language teaching materials. I taught them in a few
summer camps. And I worked with the language committee on a Siraya
dictionary that was published last year. But, before long I was
unavoidably involved in politics. For publishing the dictionary,
we needed money. Funding to my personal research was not
sufficient. So we needed to ask for funds from various sources.
The central government has the most to offer. But they would not
fund a people that "do not exist." (Eventually we were supported
by the county government.) Besides, we are constantly subjected to
censorship and evaluation by the govt (yep despite not recognizing
us, they do feel that they have the right to decide how worthy our
work is), who have organized several public hearings and/or
workshops where we have to present our work formally. In those
meetings there are politicians, governmental officials, and there
are always "linguistic experts" who argue that the Siraya language
has already gone "extinct" and reclamation would not work because
whatever we reconstruct would not be "authentic" *_* Given the
situation, I have actually received duel positions from the
association: I am posted as a linguistic consultant in the
language committee, but I am also a Special Assistant to the
Chair, Uma Talavan. Whenever I am in Taiwan, Uma would bring me
along to the political meetings she is asked to attend. Also, to
counter the negative attitude in Taiwan's domestic politics, my
people ask me to "reach out to the international community." So,
while I am working on my dissertation here in Florida, I
frequently get emails from Taiwan that ask me to translate this or
that material into English and spread the messages out. The
petition is just one of the most recent examples.

Last but not least, I would like to thank Piers Kelly and Jessica
Denniss for their valuable comments. I, too, am not sure how
effective online petitions are to reach the political goals. They
do seem to create a "good feeling" for the people more than
anything else. But this good feeling, we do need it. I have
observed a stronger bond and solidarity among the Siraya people in
the past few weeks in the process of signing the petition and
preparing for taking the street on 5/2. A couple of my Siraya
friends told me that they were so moved by the messages left by
the signatories that they cried. I hence see "empowerment" as a
core value in petition signing. And I appreciate Kelly and
Denniss's suggestion that "the descriptive linguists step back a
bit to encourage other skilled people to enter the space." I
believe that this suggestion came from their utmost sincerity and
respect towards the native people. So I'd just like to point out
that sometimes there aren't "other skilled people" though... if
"skilled people" refers to those who are adept politicians, or
political activists. All of us in the Siraya movement are new to
Realpolitik. The most experienced with politics would be Uma, and
her experience is about 10 years young. We all feel stupid,
na??ve, and frustrated from time to time when we confront
Realpolitik. But we are learning as we are acting... (and yes I do
heed the danger of some people getting corrupted or carried away,
but that would be a different topic). Oh and I don't think
indigenous peoples would enjoy the idea of hiring a professional
lobbyist from outside, either (issue of trust and money).

And yes I will keep you updated in terms of how our fight for
recognition goes.

Sincerely,
Chun (Jimmy) Huang
PhD candidate,
Linguistics, University of Florida
Linguistic consultant,
Tainan Ping-pu Siraya Culture Association