Transcriber again

Doug Marmion douglas.marmion at ANU.EDU.AU
Fri Apr 3 02:12:14 UTC 2009

Hi Margaret,

I don't think your IT person is right.

Transcriber v. 1.4.5 was built for OS X 10.1.5 while v. 1.5.1 was
built for OS X 10.3, old systems now, but I think the problem is that
both versions were built fort Macs with a PPC chip. They both run fine
on my old PowerBook G4 (running Leopard), but your MacBook has an
Intel chip which means it has to run Transcriber in the PPC emulator
(known as Rosetta).  Emulators can be a bit delicate, so it's likely
that it's not handling these old versions well. It's interesting that
the older one works better than the later one.

Have you tried asking the developers? I used to find them very
helpful, espec. Sylvain Galliano (and I like his name!). But if your
windows emulator handles it okay, I guess there's no need.

cheers,
doug