Siraya petition

Piers Kelly piers.kelly at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 1 04:27:31 UTC 2009

Hi Margaret and RNLD,
I've signed the petition but it got me thinking off the topic.

I've never had much faith in the value of online petitions and a part of me
believes that they may be counterproductive in that they provide
'participants' with the satisfaction of having engaged in a worthy campaign
by simply clicking a button. I may be wrong: this is simply an impression.

I can think of various cases in Australia where the description of a
language-endangerment issue is fantastic but the subsequent action strategy
is ineffectual or nonexistent. I'm not blaming linguists or casting
judgment, I just wonder if there might be an inherent inefficiency in how we
approach things.

I'd love to get a discussion going on the practicalities of successful
language activism. Environmental movements have been very good at separating
the tasks of scientific description and action/intervention. These are
discrete skills and rarely are they embodied in a single individual. Perhaps
as descriptive linguists we should even think about stepping back a bit to
encourage other skilled people to enter the space.

Thoughts? Examples?

Piers