Siraya petition

Piers Kelly piers.kelly at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 2 23:06:34 UTC 2009

Hi Jimmy,
Thanks for your excellent email and I'm glad this discussion is occurring.
My post was perhaps deliberately vague in order to get a feel for the range
of opinions out there.

Just to clarify a few specifics, I don't believe linguists should avoid
politics – quite the contrary – and I readily agree that language work is
necessarily political from the outset. Whether a linguist desires this or
not, the political reality must at the very least be acknowledged. Nor do I
accept the argument that political engagement undermines the "objective"
scientific worth of a study. (For an eloquent refutation of this idea, see
Cameron, Deborah et al. *Researching language: issues of power and
method.*London; New York: Routledge, 1992.)

Every language exists in a different political context, and a strategy that
is effective in Taiwan (such as a petition) may not be suitable elsewhere.
This, for me, is not contentious.

Thinking beyond the specifics of the Taiwan situation, what I suppose I was
really getting at was the question of strategy generally. My observation is
that environmentalists have become very clever and pragmatic campaigners
over the past few decades. Far from publicly quibbling over the most
effective ways to measure threats to biodiversity, environmental scientists
have succeeded in "stepping back" to create a public space in which
non-scientists can actively and positively participate. Rarely if ever are
"paid lobbyists" necessary for a successful environmental campaign. Nor do
environmental scientists have to stand in front of bulldozers wherever a
dynamic collaboration with activists already exists.

Another linguist has pointed out to me the problems with invoking an
environmentalist analogy in the context of living cultures. If you yourself
are not a custodian of an endangered language then the extent to which you
can advocate on behalf of that language is automatically limited. Unlike a
rainforest, speakers of rare languages can and do represent their own agenda
and articulate their own needs. This is a crucial distinction, but it
doesn't obviate the need to think carefully about strategy. It simply means
that language activism is more complex.

By and large, I don't believe linguists are crowding out indigenous voices,
though I don't deny the possibility of this occurring. Maybe, then, the
discussion ought to be reoriented to outlining what the specific goal of a
language endangerment situation is, what we as linguists can and can't do
for endangered languages, and how speakers of rare languages might
collaborate successfully with scientists, non-scientists and the public to
achieve this goal.

Or more simply:*
*If revitalisation is the goal of a speech community, how do we define
successful language revitalisation (as opposed to, say, successful
description)?
How do we divide tasks to achieve this most efficiently?

The answers will be different for each language and my feeling is that
linguists cannot and should not do everything. Ditto speakers. How to
proceed? Are there any fundamentals we all agree on?

Piers.