Language 'revitalisation'

Greg Dickson munanga at BIGPOND.COM
Fri Apr 3 05:42:53 UTC 2009

I'm not sure how this has turned from a discussion of the value of
online petitions to questioning the value of endangered language
programs but i can't resist from chucking in my 'yirrwarrini gudaru'.

I think Margaret's assessment shows a touch of naivety as well as
pessimism.  I don't think anyone would believe that a language
program delivering one lesson per week to students could produce
fluent speakers.  Essentially, the goal would be to 'teach language',
not produce speakers.  The point of contention is to determine *how
much* language should be taught.  In the Northern Territory, the
"Indigenous Language and Culture - Language Revitalisation" section
of the NT Curriculum Framework provides a good guide and benchmarks
to aim for.

Having said that, the language revitalisation program Margaret is
referring to did have a track record of positive direct and indirect
outcomes.  Having had direct experience with this community since
2004, I can say that direct outcomes were evident:
- increased awareness by all students of their linguistic heritage
(the community has at least 7 heritage languages, all significantly
endangered.  The language program heightened students' awareness of
the languages of their region and their familial affiliations)
- increased comprehension and speaking skills: on several occasions a
majority of students were tested for acquisition of oral and aural
skills pertaining to keywords and phrases taught during the half hour
lessons.  Testing results showed a significant number of students
understood and recalled a majority of content words - words that were
out of common use in the community and student's vernacular.
Anecdotally, parents regularly reported children recalling language
words and singing songs in language at home - language that the
parental generation had often not acquired due to the level of
endangerment of the languages.
- increased literacy skills and awareness of traditional language
literacy.  All upper primary/secondary students participated in
reading and literacy activities, consolidating the oral/aural
components of the language lessons.

Aside from the direct benefits, the indirect benefits of implementing
such programs are arguably of greater significance including:
- provision of casual employment for Indigenous community members
(including elders) working on the language program
- provision of training for Indigenous community members working on
the language program - both informal/on-the-job training and formal
tertiary education through RTOs.
- development of teaching resources (which included readers,
flashcards, wordcards, computer games, audio recordings) for teaching
endangered languages
- increased participation by elders and Indigenous community members
in the local government school
- improved language skills/fluency by non-fluent language teachers
assisting with the program
- PD and networking opportunities for language teachers which
included attending workshops in neighbouring communities and the ILC
conference in Adelaide in 2007.
- greater awareness of features of local languages and cultures by
non-Indigenous schools staff

I would agree that the outcomes of some endangered language
activities/programs are overstated, but in the instance Margaret
refers to, there is strong evidence that it was effective, perhaps
only modestly so, but nonetheless effective.  Given that many others
also felt positively towards the program, I think that pessimism is
at play in assessing such a program negatively.  Perhaps there is
another factor at play for those with 3-4 decades experiences in that
they remember times past when these endangered languages were
healthier and perhaps are inclined to see the cup as half empty when
looking at the state of the same languages today, rather than
acknowledging the contemporary achievements of language
revitalisation activities.

Cheers,
Greg Dickson