fieldwork equipment

Greg Aumann Greg_Aumann at SIL.ORG
Mon Jan 12 05:08:23 UTC 2009

Greg Dickson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone help me with ideas for fieldwork equipment?
>
> I'm planning on getting an Edirol R-09, but I also want an external mic
> (which I can also use with a minidisc player) and some good headphones.

I had an Edirol R-09 and found that it was too noisy if used with an
external microphone. I had it checked and there was no fault with my
unit the problem is with the design. I have since bought an Edirol
R-09HR which is much less noisy with external microphones.
> My main concern, especially with the headphones, is that they need to be
> very sturdy because they'll get a lot of use by lots of people - I'm
> prepared to spend a bit of money on the headphones (up to $500?) but
> want to know that they'll last.

I found a portable battery powered speaker to very helpful for playing
back recordings to people. I used this one
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=JBL%20ON%20TOUR

> Also, I've been looking at retailers online and just don't know where to
> go - can anyone suggest good retailers?

bhphotovideo.com are reliable, have good prices and will ship outside
the US.

Greg