Making .pdf files (fwd)

listman at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG listman at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Fri Jun 5 20:03:52 UTC 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 23:39:44 +1000
From: Andrew Margetts <apmargetts at iprimus.com.au>
To: Stephen Morey <S.Morey at latrobe.edu.au>, rnld <r-n-l-d at unimelb.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Making .pdf files

This  message  was originally  submitted  by  apmargetts at IPRIMUS.COM.AU to  the
RESOURCE-NETWORK-LINGUISTIC-DIVERSITY list at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG. If you
simply  forward it  back  to the  list,  using a  mail  command that  generates
"Resent-" fields (ask  your local user support or consult  the documentation of
your mail program if in doubt), it will be distributed and the explanations you
are now reading  will be removed automatically.  If on the other  hand you edit
the  contributions you  receive into  a digest,  you will  have to  remove this
paragraph manually. Finally,  you should be able to contact  the author of this
message by using the normal "reply" function of your mail program.

---------------- Message requiring your approval (139 lines) ------------------
Dear Stephen,

We encountered a somewhat similar set of problems when preparing a 'Word'
document that had both internal and external links (the external ones were to
numerous small MPEG files - though they could have been to any kind of file in
principal). One major problem (different from the ones you mention) was that
the version of Acrobat we had couldn't make a useful set of PDF 'bookmarks'
from a 'Word' table-of-contents (it could make one, but it didn't include the
numbering, which made it almost useless). It is possible that upgrading Acrobat
(at some cost) would have solved that problem (or perhaps not), but in the
meantime I came across a free utility that could do this. It also could manage
to make links to external documents. This utility works as a macro that you
install into 'Word' and is called PDF-T-Maker. The link is:
http://www.transcom.de/transcom/en/2004_pdf-t-maker.htm

It is a little idiosyncratic, and therefore complicated to set up. For one
thing you have to deal with the separate concepts of having both a PostScript
printer and a PDF Distiller. What the macro seems to do is manage the
conversion from 'Word' to PostScript and then the further 'distillation' to PDF
(or is it the other way around?), but it needs separate (external) applications
to manage some of these tasks. Specifically it needs both a viable PostScript
printer driver and a PDF distilller. The good news is that free applications
are available for both tasks: for instance I use Cute PDF (the free version)
for the printer (http://www.cutepdf.com/), and GhostScript for the distiller
(http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/). (Note that the free CutePDF can create a
good, if simple, PDF document all by itself; unfortunately it does not handle
the links).

It is not that hard to set up these programs to run together following the
specific installation guides and the information on the PDF-T-Maker site. Once
this is established, making a PDF from 'Word' is simply a matter of clicking a
toolbar button. (Of course there are also numerous options available for fine
tuning the process).

On the whole I can recommend this set-up (especially for the price). The only
problem we had is that in some cases we found that the click 'target' for a
link was not exactly over the desired spot. This is a somewhat mysterious
matter: our document was very long and at the beginning everything was fine and
then at some point the click targets started to 'drift' and then later on they
were accurate again. To date I have not been able to ascertain whether this was
caused by some idiosyncrasy in our 'Word' document (as any 'Word' user will be
aware, it is frustratingly difficult to work out what is going on in the
document regarding styles and so on) or whether this is a more fundamental
problem with the macro design. We have not yet been able to take the matter up
with the developers to see if there is a solution to the problem (assuming they
are inclined to try to solve it). Meanwhile there are two ameliorating factors
to note:

1) This problem certainly does not always occur.
2) It is easy to configure the macro to draw a visible box around the actual
click area which both alerts the creator to any possible problems, and allows
the user (provided they have been warned) to identify the relevant click area.
Not a clean fix but a work-around.

Unfortunately, I doubt whether this will answer all your difficulties.
Regarding "Word creates a system of relative references to files", I wonder
whether you are using straightforward hyperlinks for external files. If not
then I recommend you do so using 'Word's' built in hyperlink function (select
item/word to link from -> right click -> Hyperlink...). This should make links
to external files, of any sort,  quite feasible.

However I can't see how you will be able to target bookmarks within other PDF
documents (unless perhaps more recent versions of Acrobat support such
linking). As Peter implies, hyperlinks from/to HTML versions can handle such
cross-document links (though not generally without manual editing), but of
course a typical web-page exported from a 'Word' file looks rather different to
the source document (unlike the PDF version) and might not be suitable for your
primary document.

One solution then  might be to have your main document as a PDF but the
supporting ones as HTML files: as long as these (the HTML files) are created
first you should be able to (hyper)link to specific parts (i.e. anchor tags) of
these files in your 'Word' doc and hopefully have these links preserved  in the
'conversion to PDF' process.

In any case I recommend keeping all your 'linked-to' files in the same
directory as, or in a directory 'under', the main document when making the
hyperlinks. This will permit you to copy the resulting PDF to a CD/DVD/USB
stick or whatever along with the supporting directories/files and expect the
links to work.

Andrew Margetts