Rugged USB flash stick

Aidan Wilson aidan at USYD.EDU.AU
Thu May 14 23:48:49 UTC 2009

The Corsair site lists some retailers, I went and followed one of the
links and found a US price of 78.90 for the 32GB version. Not too bad if
you ask me. Depending on what you're doing and what sort of formats you're
using, 32GB could be plenty of space to backup your data for a treacherous
journey back from wherever.

Another useful device, which apparently hasn't been copied by other
manufacturers is the XS-drive (http://www.xs-drive.com/), which is
basically a hard drive which has the ability to suck all the data from a
recording device without going through a computer. I think all you need to
do is put in a CF or SD card and hit 'backup'. They have a regular 2.5"
SATA hard drive inside, which makes them unfortunately susceptible to
failures and breakages from dropping, etc., but if you were cashed up
enough, you could buy a 2.5" SATA solid state drive of comparable capacity
to make it more secure. The only failure point then, would be the
connectors from the SATA drive to the shell.

In case you're wondering about this last option, solid state 2.5" hard
drives cost about 350.00 (AUD) for 128GB. Probably not a viable option
just yet, but they're due to dramatically fall in price as they soon get
to fit more GB per square inch into a 2.5" drive bay sized space. If you
think about it, 32GB compact flash cards are almost cheap enough now to
make them worthwhile, so it shouldn't be long at all.

--
Aidan Wilson

The University of Sydney
+612 9036 9558