clip-on microphones and cheap audio recorders

Steven Bird sb at CSSE.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Thu Apr 22 02:09:01 UTC 2010

On 6 April 2010 11:06, Laura Robinson <lcrobinson1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...] I want something that I
> can afford to buy 5 or 6 of that I can then lend or give away in the field
> without having to worry about getting them back.  To this end, I am also
> looking for something that is VERY simple to use, preferably with a big red
> record button and a simple stop and play buttons, so that I can teach
> someone to use it in less than one minute.

I recommend this, which is an updated version of the ones I'm using in PNG.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/631174-REG/Olympus_142070_VN_6200PC_Digital_Voice_Recorder.html

I've only experienced two problems with this recorder: (i) the
microphone sensitivity setting (hi/lo) is only accessible in a
submenu, and its not practical for people to switch between these
settings (e.g. low for near-field recording of monologue, vs high when
the recorder is placed midway between two dialogue participants); and
(ii) the playback button, when pressed repeatedly, switches between
normal, fast, and slow playback (I wish that setting was buried in the
submenus).

Rather than just giving out voice recorders, and having them filled up
with material with no archival value at all, you might give out A5
logbooks, along with the insert you can download from
http://boldpng.info/, so people collect metadata on what they record.
You might also like to try training them in respeaking and oral
translation.  For more details, see:

A scalable method for preserving oral literature from small languages,
Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Asia-Pacific
Digital Libraries, Gold Coast, Australia (June 2010)
http://boldpng.info/file-cabinet/icadl10.pdf

-Steven Bird