conference announcement

Theresa Savage TSavage at GROUPWISE.SWIN.EDU.AU
Wed Aug 11 03:37:40 UTC 2010

Dear Knut, David and RNLD members,

It looks to me like the conference is not really targeting academics. The Tonkin Corp. states that they can help your organisation contact "senior business executives who have the power and authority to purchase your services". They also state on their website:
"Tonkin Corporation is a boutique media group producing business conferences on current issues in the law, finance, investment, accounting, property, human resources, mining, energy, government, transport, healthcare, marketing, information technology and telecommunications."

I don't have to tell any of you that Indigenous knowledge is big business. A conference that would attract companies that have the resources to support, maintain, revitalise or revive Indigenous knowledge could be very advantageous to improving the welfare of an Indigenous community provided there is appropriate payment in kind and/or in cash and that it is distributed fairly to all members of the community. If remuneration is done sensitively and in consultation with the community/communities concerned, it could be a win-win situation.

However, there are many examples throughout the world of rabid exploitation of Indigenous knowledge. This comment is not meant to be a slur on the speakers lined up for this conference. The fact is that Indigenous knowledge is being exploited as we speak. A conference such as this could ensure that Indigenous people have their side of the story presented to the corporate world and that can't be such a bad thing. The cost of the conference is so high because they are evidently targeting corporations, not academics.

Theresa

>>> KJ Olawsky <manager at mirima.org.au> 11/08/2010 12:51 PM >>>
Dear David and RNLD mob

I agree that this looks like a business model and quite frankly I'm
appalled at the rates. It is the second such offer we received in a
month and it seems organizers and business people have understood there
is serious money in anything branded Indigenous knowledge transfer or
cross-cultural training.
Mirima Language Centre offers a similar course (as a more locally
specialized "product") for a fraction of the fee. In fact, I wonder
who'd be able to afford an expense of this size.

Knut

================================
Dr. Knut J. Olawsky
Senior Linguist/Manager