The Transcriber-ELAN-Toolbox funride

Andrew Margetts apmargetts at IPRIMUS.COM.AU
Sun Aug 29 11:38:28 UTC 2010

Dear Mark,

You might like to try an online  converter that I developed for this
purpose. It converts any Transcriber file directly to a Toolbox text
file such that this file can also be opened in ELAN. It is customisable
to the extent that marker names can be changed (and saved) to suit your
own preferences, and it can provide matching Toolbox 'database type'
and  ELAN 'marker' files to assist in opening the text file in both
programs.

Our habit is to open the converted file in Toolbox for further
processing (e.g. interlinearisation), and then to import it into ELAN.
But of course you can work it the other way around too (using ELAN's
export to Toolbox capability) - the intention was to enable a completely
flexible workflow.

The converter does preserve the speaker ID's, and can handle
Transcriber-style split-speakers (writing the info to two separate
consecutive records with the same timecode). It also extracts and
rewrites the ELAN timecode information so that Toolbox can also play the
sound chunks. It seems to work OK for quite a lot of people. You can
find it here:

http://linguisticsoftwareconverters.zong.mine.nu/

(Excuse the grand title - I once had intentions to write some more
converters but work intervened).

Andrew Margetts