ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF LINGUISTICS IN LANGUAGE DOCUMENTATION AND CONSERVATION

Nick Thieberger thien at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Wed Dec 1 00:21:14 UTC 2010

POSITION VACANCY
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF LINGUISTICS IN
LANGUAGE DOCUMENTATION & CONSERVATION
Department of Linguistics at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa

ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF LINGUISTICS IN LANGUAGE DOCUMENTATION AND
CONSERVATION: The Department of Linguistics at the University of
Hawai‘i at Mānoa invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track
position (position no. 85018) in Language Documentation and
Conservation, to begin August 1, 2011, or as soon as possible
thereafter.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Ph.D. in linguistics or related field. (ABDs
must provide evidence that all degree requirements will have been met
by the date of hire). Applicants are expected to have practical
fieldwork experience and a demonstrated commitment to the goals of
language documentation and conservation, expertise in computational
methods of data archiving, manipulation and dissemination as well as a
high-quality research record in these areas.  Evidence of superior
teaching ability in undergraduate and/or graduate linguistics courses
is required.

DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: Prior knowledge of one or more Asian and/or
Pacific languages; expertise in phonology, typology, morphology, or
field psycholinguistics. We are especially interested in candidates
who are willing to participate fully in the department’s many language
documentation activities, including taking a leadership role in the
electronic journal, Language Documentation and Conservation, and whose
research and teaching interests allow them to interact with faculty
and students in the department, in other departments, and within the
community as well.

SALARY: Commensurate with experience.

TO APPLY: Send a letter of application, CV, copies of key relevant
publications, teaching and research statements, and three letters of
recommendation to: Chair, Department Personnel Committee, Department
of Linguistics, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, 1890 East-West Road,
Honolulu, HI 96822, USA.

CLOSING DATE: We will begin to evaluate applications and supporting
materials by January 14, 2011.

INQUIRIES: Same address as application. We regret that we cannot
accept applications via fax. E-mailed applications must be followed by
hard copy postmarked (priority mail) by January 14, 2011. (E-mail
address: linguist at hawaii.edu). Please note that we cannot ensure that
all e-mail or fax communications in regard to this position will be
answered.

The University of Hawai‘i is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
institution. UH does not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age,
disability or veteran status.