small vital languages

Stef Spronck stephan.spronck at ANU.EDU.AU
Fri Dec 24 00:08:15 UTC 2010

Dear all,

Just to briefly comment on the status of Ngarinyin: it has been
estimated at up to 100 speakers, but I haven't met a single semi-speaker
under 45, and kids certainly don't learn the language anymore. The only
age group to still actively use the language is formed by a handfull of
speakers of the oldest generation, so I'm afraid that Ngarinyin would
not qualify as one of the small but vital languages of Australia.

Best,
Stef