Transcriber again

David Nash David.Nash at ANU.EDU.AU
Mon Jan 18 09:00:30 UTC 2010

At 10:42 AM +1100 4/4/09, Doug Marmion wrote:
>He did however point me to
><http://www.loria.fr/~quignard/Transcriber/>, where you can get
>Transcriber 1.5.2.

Further, at http://users.rcn.com/astockdale/ you can get
http://users.rcn.com/astockdale/Transcription.zip which contains
'Transcriber Guide.pdf' 'A GUIDE TO USING TRANSCRIBER TO TRANSCRIBE
AND PREPARE DIGITAL AUDIO DATA FOR QUALITATIVE ANALYSIS', where on
page 3 we read:

"The current version (1.5.1) doesn't correctly calculate the time
points within MP3 files. This appears to be a problem in the Snack
Sound Library used by Transcriber. (Note that Snack will be replaced
in the next official version.) The problem results in the timing
being off by slightly more than a quarter of a second every minute.
On very short files this is almost unnoticeable but on longer files
it will be very noticeable, resulting in about 17 seconds of drift on
a one hour interview. I would suggest using WAV or OGG files with
Transcriber. These are both handled correctly.'

I have a 40-minute OGG file (converted from WAV) which plays fine in
Audacity, M Player OS X, and VLC.  However, when I open the same file
in Transcriber (1.5.1 or 1.5.2) it plays as noise, and the waveform
display is mostly black.  Any suggestions as to what is going on?

David