LSA Resolution passed

Mark Post mark.post at JCU.EDU.AU
Fri Jun 4 05:48:39 UTC 2010

Hi all -

Thanks for this great overview of the problem Stephen; I certainly agree
with the thrust of what you're saying, as you know; in a very short
period of time, we've watched our discipline become increasingly focused
on the building and maintenance of ever-richer, larger, and
better-annotated databases - something which requires significant, and
increasing, time-expenditure and expertise - at the same time as our
universities, in Australia at least, become increasingly focused on
defining and quantifying "output" in a way that explicitly excludes
virtually everything of this nature (short of a collection of
written-out texts which bears an ISBN)! This is a plain contradiction
which can't continue indefinitely.

The most immediate solution that I can see for those in a position to
publish a corpus together with a grammar (or a dictionary) would be to
include the corpus as a CD-ROM, as you did with your Tai Languages of
Assam book, /but/ for it to be treated not as a supplement, but instead
as a second volume of the book. It could simultaneously be hosted online
(as yours is); since CDs cost very little to produce and in this case
don't cost anything additional to distribute, this is likely to be less
worrisome to commercial publishers than it otherwise might be. Books
with two volumes in principle get two ISBNs, and would in principle be
quantified as two books for research output purposes by our
universities. Although I can imagine that a lot of finessing would be
required to pull this off, there's no reason in principle that it
couldn't, and shouldn't, be done. The same person that peer-reviews the
book then simultaneously peer-reviews the corpus.

This doesn't solve the problem of assessing (and crediting) a
documentation which is completed in advance of a grammar/dictionary, and
which is just as important to review, quantify and credit in a
reasonable period of time. I don't see an easy answer here, and hope
that someone else will!

Cheers
Mark

--
Mark W. Post, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Anthropological Linguistics

EML: mark.post at jcu.edu.au
TEL: +61-7-4042-1881 (AU)
TEL: +91-97183-63544 (IN-Del)
TEL: +91-94360-42352 (IN-NE)