FW: the argument for language maintenance

Margaret Carew margaret.carew at BATCHELOR.EDU.AU
Thu Mar 25 11:40:22 UTC 2010

Hi there

I got this question - see below - from a (non-linguist) colleague. I thought it would be interesting to conduct a quick survey amongst RNLD members, so please read on...

Folks,

When you have a quiet reflective moment...

re: the argument for language maintenance

What are the standard replies given to people who complain that there
are too many Aboriginal languages for language maintenance, that
supporting all those languages will cost too much, etc.

And New Zealand is given as an example where language maint is
practical, because only 1 language.

I'm thinking there must be some standard ideas on this question in
linguistic circles.