the argument for language maintenance

Aidan Wilson aidan at USYD.EDU.AU
Thu Mar 25 22:23:51 UTC 2010

I remember being in an undergraduate class and going to a local Aborigial
Language centre, in Glebe I think, where this bloke gave a short talk
about how important language was to him.

He'd grown up without any knowledge of his language (may have been Dharug,
I suppose, but I can't remember) and was pretty messed up because of it -
drugs and alcohol, abuse of others, etc. He said that when he was able to
find out something about his own culture and language, he more or less
found a bit of his identity that had been lacking before and - you know
the story - quit grog and drugs and became a better husband.

Anecdata I know, but I think it's true that one's language, especially if
it's a minority/indigenous language specific to a small ethnic group as is
the case in most of Aboriginal Australia, is incredibly important in
people's lives. We Anglophones tend not to realise this because there's
absolutely no chance in our lifetimes that we'll find ourselves in the
minority.

-

I have a mate who's an ecologist and works with endangered amphibian
species. A very intelligent and friendly guy. One night though, he started
asking me why I bother with language maintenance on Wagiman, a language
with around 4-7 speakers (depending on where you draw the line on
fluency). Why wouldn't we, as linguists, put all our efforts into 'saving'
one of the languages that is most likely to survive. I thought this was
extremely odd coming from someone who works with endangered frogs.

(Tangent: there's a nice analogy with native frog species and the virulent
spread of Cane Toads - reported in both Sydney and Kununurra last week)

To get back to the main point, I haven't yet had anyone seriously claim
that there were too many aboriginal languages, just that we shouldn't be
doing quite so much to maintain the most critically endangered but instead
support the stronger languages, the most likely to survive. As a
syntactician, I'd probably counter that Australia represents a massively
diverse linguistic area and each language has the potential to increase
our understanding of how language works. Letting languages die without
doing anything about it is like shredding evidence.

--
Aidan Wilson

The University of Sydney
+612 9036 9558