video cameras

Felicity Meakins f.meakins at UQ.EDU.AU
Thu Mar 25 22:32:30 UTC 2010

I haven¹t been overly impressed with the quality of the hard drive cameras
I¹ve looked at. I have a Canon HV30 Black Progressive HDV which rates better
than the Sony equivalent. The HDDV quality is infinitely better than the
normal DV cameras and better than any of the hard drive cameras I¹ve used.
The digitised files require more hard drive space, but it is worth it for
the image.

I think that as linguists doing documentation we spend more time worrying
about sound quality and good sound equipment and not enough about the
quality of footage. We think of it as just adding a bit of context to our
recordings rather than considering them as the primary recording that
language communities are going to be interested in in decades to come.