video cameras

Aidan Wilson aidan at USYD.EDU.AU
Thu Mar 25 23:48:45 UTC 2010

A good setup is to take with you a small recorder, probably a Zoom H4n, a
good mic, a Rode NT4 are still the best around, in my opinion, a long
cable, and a hard drive video camera like a Canon Legria HF20, 21, etc.,

The files are massive when you first transfer them, but if you have a big
enough hard drive, this shouldn't be a big problem. Oddly, iMovie is the
best program for transferring, except it removes certain metadata - use it
for transfer only and then operate on the output .mov files; the reason
being that the .mts files (AVCHD format) are utterly impossible to work
with natively.

When recording video, either use only the video camera and plug the
microphone into it (trusting whichever compressed audio format they use in
AVCHD format), or, better, but requiring more tech savviness, record the
audio separately wth your specific audio device and place the video camera
some way away. When doing so, do something at the start of the recording
so you can accuratlely time-align the good audio with the video. Something
as simple as a couple of claps close to the mic and visible to the
camera should do it.

The video files that these Canon cameras produce are simply fantastic.
Just avoid Sony at all costs; they have an overwhelming culture of
proprietary formats, both in terms of hardware and software.

-Aidan Wilson
Paradisec

--
Aidan Wilson