the argument for language maintenance

KJ Olawsky manager at MIRIMA.ORG.AU
Fri Mar 26 03:01:15 UTC 2010

"Economizing" language maintenance seems to be a typically Western
approach to the issue. Certainly this approach is pragmatic and takes
into account the reality of what is achievable and what is not.

In Aboriginal societies, a focus on relationships and ideals tends to
outweigh material interests. Individuals would feel very strongly if
their language was wiped off the maintenance chart, even if it had no
realistic chance of survival.

This sounds like an "emotional" argument but on what grounds is it
weaker than a quantitative approach based on economy? The respective
speakers of a language should be the ones to have a say regarding the
maintenance of their language.

If compromises are made by default (i.e. through lack of funding), who
would want to decide which languages are to be filtered out? It seems
that commitment and dedication of the language speakers are major forces
in this process. However, this should not deter us from aiming at the
best possible outcome as any loss of any language will lead to loss of
identity.

================================
Dr. Knut J. Olawsky
Senior Linguist/Coordinator