video cameras

Tom Honeyman t.honeyman at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 26 03:23:39 UTC 2010

That Zoom Q3 looks like an interesting concept. Shame it doesn't have
external mic inputs. I wonder if the built-in mic is OK. Being powered
by AA batteries is particularly useful in situations without mains
power. My experience with the other Zoom audio recorders was that they
were reasonably good, and it appears to be an audio oriented device,
which is interesting given that audio quality is often secondary in
many video cameras.

I've been interested in these small cameras as a backup, or second
angle camera. For instance I have been experimenting with a Samsung
U10. The U10 records a format that is accepted in ELAN straight off
the flash card, which makes it particularly useful for fieldwork. So,
the idea is to use a good camera for primary recordings (and "primary"
angles), but to be able to stick the second camera to the ceiling when
running certain types of tasks, especially non-verbal tasks. And I
still use a separate audio recorder, because I can't do much without a
good audio recording!

-tom