The argument for langauge maintenance

msharpe3 at UNE.EDU.AU msharpe3 at UNE.EDU.AU
Sat Mar 27 05:13:13 UTC 2010

I think I was the only one to pick up the comparison with Maori in NZ. all
the other points are important and good, but an argument that it is
feasible to do language maintenance for Maori but not the many languages
in Australia is to a large extent false economically. Whenever  Maori is
taught, there is the need for a speaker, and if the speaker is not a
trained language teacher, input from a teacher with language teaching
expertise is needed.  For all Australian languages in everyday use, there
are dictionaries and grammars, and speakers able to help in the school. As
in NZ, the basic cost for engaging a native language speaker and a trained
language teacher. This should cost the same per school in NZ or Australia,
whether or not all the schools are working on the same language.

It is very hard for monolinguals to grasp the significance of a language
to its speakers, but Sarah's point might get through. I'm amused too at
her comment about criticism or Americanisms being a national sport.
Margaret Sharpe