FW: the argument for language maintenance

Piers Kelly piers.kelly at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 29 11:57:55 UTC 2010

Hi Margaret,
My attempt at framing a literary argument:

Alessandro Duranti makes that point that it would be amazing to be able to
then, to be able to hear such rare languages as Arrente? Or to witness the
heroic retrieval of Kaurna?
Since writing is a fairly recent human innovation, most languages of the
world belong to cultures that are predominantly oral. Our present dependence
on the written word makes it hard for us to imagine how oral cultures are
able to create complex and epic works of verbal art. But the most
influential literary masterpieces in the Western tradition were produced by
cultures that were largely pre-literate. The adoption of writing by the
Greeks, for example, post-dated the oral performances of all those elaborate
narratives that combined to make The Odyssey.
So what about all those major and minor epics that are *still* being
recited, appreciated, altered and reinterpreted right now, this minute by
speakers of minority languages? How many more Bibles, Ramayanas, Odysseys,
Harry Potter sagas and dirty jokes are being enacted under our noses? For
the most part we don't see them because they fly underneath our
writing-centric radars. Or else we don't 'get' them because we lack the
cultural scaffolding that makes them meaningful.
It would certainly be lovely to record these artefacts so that more people
can enjoy them and appreciate their importance, but this is not an end in
itself. Verbal art is reproduced and transmitted through performance not
documentation. The term 'intangible cultural heritage' is, for me, a little
misleading. Human culture, whether it manifests itself as a stone monument
or a nursery rhyme, is always intangible. It's our languages, and the
stories we tell in them, that provide the world with substance.