Jobs: Lang Documentation & Conservation: Asst/Assoc Prof, U of Hawai'i

Nick Thieberger thien at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Wed Mar 3 03:48:23 UTC 2010

University or Organization: University of Hawai'i at Manoa
Department: Linguistics
Job Location: Hawaii, USA
Web Address: http://www.ling.hawaii.edu

Job Rank: Asst/Assoc Professor

Specialty Areas: Language Documentation; Conservation

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Hawai'i at Manoa invites
applications for a full-time, tenure-track position (position no. 83168) in
Language Documentation and Conservation, to begin August 1, 2010, or as
soon as possible thereafter.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Ph.D. in linguistics or related field. (ABDs must
provide evidence that all degree requirements will have been met by the
date of hire). Applicants are expected to have practical fieldwork
experience and a demonstrated commitment to the goals of language
documentation and conservation, as well as a high-quality research record
in these areas. Evidence of superior teaching ability in undergraduate
and/or graduate linguistics courses is required.

DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: Prior knowledge of one or more Asian and/or
Pacific languages; expertise in computational methods of data manipulation
and dissemination; expertise in phonology, typology, morphology, or field
psycholinguistics. We are especially interested in candidates who are
willing to participate fully in the department's many language
documentation activities, and whose research and teaching interests allow
them to interact with faculty and students in the department, in other
departments, and within the community as well.

SALARY: Commensurate with experience.

TO APPLY: Send a letter of application, CV, copies of key relevant
publications, teaching and research statements, and three letters of
recommendation to the address below.

CLOSING DATE: We will begin to evaluate applications and supporting
materials by April 5, 2010.

INQUIRIES: Same address as application. We regret that we cannot accept
applications via fax. E-mailed applications must be followed by hard copy
postmarked (priority mail) by April 5, 2010. (E-mail address:
linguist at hawaii.edu). Please note that we cannot ensure that all e-mail or
fax communications in regard to this position will be answered.

The University of Hawai'i is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
institution. UH does not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age,
disability or veteran status.

Application Deadline: 05-Apr-2010
Mailing Address for Applications:
       Chair, Department Personnel Committee