summary: numeracy and literacy software

Piers Kelly piers.kelly at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 16 06:07:01 UTC 2010

Hi all,
Here are your replies to my request.

Aidan Wilson has suggested installing Ubuntu <http://www.ubuntu.com/> and
then loading  the Edubuntu <http://edubuntu.org/> platform.
John Hattan suggested TuxMath
Lila San Roque pointed me in the direction of the
www.schools-wikipedia.orgproject which allows you to download an
offline version of wikipedia with
5500 articles selected specifically for children (in the UK).

I have installed Edubuntu and it looks fantastic. If you're very clever you
can translate some of the applications into languages other than English, or
download versions that have already been translated by others in the open
source community. I also downloaded the schools-wikipedia but haven't
figured out how to get it to work in Linux yet. TuxMath is one of the games
included in the package. It appears to combine basic maths with exploding
aliens - fun.

Cheers,
Piers