Labelling and metadata on the hodge-podge of recordings on your home computer

Greg Dickson munanga at BIGPOND.COM
Sun May 2 09:45:47 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm trying to tidy up my files on my home laptop, which I've only
ever used secondarily to whatever computer I was assigned by various
workplaces.  Over about four years, I've ended up with a real hodge-
podge of recordings and files in all kinds of languages made in all
kinds of situations by all kinds of people even! (When you lend out
your Zoom recorder it can come back with interesting things on it!).
I thought it's time for a spring clean.

I'm pretty decided on a way to label my files consistently, but would
appreciate any feedback or shared experiences.

I thought I'd go with something like:

100405MARfrNGUgd01

Which is DATE (April 5, 2010) LANGUAGE (Marra) speaker (initials: fr)
LOCATION (Ngukurr) "recorded by" (gd = me) Series number (1st in the
series)

And then any ELAN, metadata, video or text files will have the same
name, just a different file extension.

I'm wondering though, what should I do about metadata?  What do
others do?  How necessary is keeping metadata for such a
miscellaneous collection of files?  And how do I do it?  One place I
worked at just kept a store of .txt files of metadata - 1 file for
each recording.  Is that a good way?

Any help or info appreciated.

Guda mingi,
(That's all now)