Labelling and metadata

Peter Austin pa2 at SOAS.AC.UK
Mon May 3 10:11:20 UTC 2010

If you are going to include semantics in the file names can I make a plea
that your labels are a little more transparent -- why not use:

fm_2009_session10_audio.wav
fm_2009_session10_video.wav

rather than FM09_v10A ?? v could stand for "version" or "volume" or who
knows what else, and, as for "A", well that's anyone's guess. Also, if the
"09" is a year then write it as 2009 (one might even argue for "felicity" or
"meakins" rather than "FM"). I recommend separators like _ as well, as Bill
Poser did in his contribution to this discussion. Note also, that if you
have more than 99 video sessions you'll need the label to be:

fm_2009_session010_audio.wav

I think there are good reasons for being a little more explicit in file
names if you want to put in some (useful) semantics like this -- after all
YOU know what "FM" "09" "v" "A" mean but who else could guess? Compare that
with:

felicity_2009_session10_video.wav

Best,
Peter

--
Prof Peter K. Austin
Marit Rausing Chair in Field Linguistics

web: http://www.hrelp.org/aboutus/staff/index.php?cd=pa