Labelling and metadata

Felicity Meakins f.meakins at UQ.EDU.AU
Tue May 4 05:06:26 UTC 2010

Hi Alex and others,

I completely sympathise with you! At one point I was made to rename all of
my files and it was a nightmare - mostly because all of the links in the
transcription files also had to be changed. It was also a decision made by
technicians who had different concerns from my own.

Sticking with a system once you have one - whatever it may be - has got to
be almost always the best opinion. That¹s why it is important to think it
through when you set it up.

I think that sticking with a system also helps transparency to you the
creator. One of the reasons you don¹t know what is in AF03-05-02.wav is not
just because it isn¹t semantically transparent but because you haven¹t been
thinking about your files in that way. I can tell you what is on FM05_061.A
even though it isn¹t semantically transparent just because I am familiar
with my system. Other people would need to read the metadata, but it is
available.

Actually another issue you brought up is whether or not to use collector
initials in the file. In a sense, it isn¹t the most useful information, but
it depends on your project. My files start with my initials because they
were mostly collected on two joint projects with a number of linguists
involved. We used the same numbering system and distinguished our files
based on linguist initials. I gather this is quite common, but probably not
necessary for individual projects.

Felicity

On 4/5/10 2:43 PM, "Alex Francois" <Alexandre.Francois at vjf.cnrs.fr> wrote:

> [...]
> the long, transparent names which are visually readable, easily searchable,
> and instantly clickable
> ‹  OR accessing my metadata spreadsheet, try and identify the string of digits
> which I'm looking for, write it down, then try and access the recording among
> hundreds of files, essentially in a non-automatic way.  Now guess which
> solution I end up choosing.  (*grin*)
>
> There's probably something I've done wrong (as always) but I'm still wondering
> what the ideal combination would be.  It seems that different usages (working
> on one's own files vs long-term archivingŠ) may warrant different decisions,
> but of course this is not a good answer to Greg.
> I am especially trying to identify the best procedure in terms of archiving
> for the future, and making access easy for other prospective users.
>
> regards,
> Alex.
>

> Margaret Carew wrote:
>>
>> Useful thread, and I am now looking back at my various drives with one
>> eyebrow raised...
>>
>> I'm wondering, what is the role of folders in all this?
>>
>> I have an almost well organised system of audio recordings that is in the
>> main not archived (although carefully backed up!), from various years and
>> places. I have established a folder for each year that has passed since I
>> commenced recording in digital (ie. 2006 2007 etc). Within each of these year
>> folders is a recording session folder with a name that includes the year and
>> month (sometimes day) the place and the event or key topic. Within each of
>> these secondary folders are the recordings that are part of that session,
>> with a date, speaker and other semantic info (eg.
>> 20100209_BP_kurdu_wita.WAV). The metadata files (marked up text files) are
>> stored within each folder, and the name of the folder is entered as a field
>> in the metadata.
>>
>> Like my erstwhile colleague Greg I'm probably closer to the hodge-podge end
>> of things, doing lots of recordings with students, sometimes in a bit of a
>> random fashion, multi-tasking like crazy, yet trying to keep some order in
>> it. I'm now wondering whether the folder based system is going to be a
>> problem when it comes to archiving - one thing that has popped up is the
>> existence of these lots of folder based metadata files - this might need to
>> be consolidated into one file.
>>
>> I might also add that I've become fond of using itunes to make playlists of
>> recordings - usually edited ones - and to use as a secondary database (a kind
>> of partial mirror if you like). You can use the file info to point back to
>> the folderised filenames as described. And it's great for making CDs for
>> students of their recordings, to repatriate materials quickly etc. Also good
>> for compiling files that will be used in a resource (eg. a set of clips for a
>> voiceover) Am I committing an archiving crime by using itunes in this way?

>>> 09=year (full date is in metadata)
>>> v=video
>>> 10=recording session