USB audio input devices

Daryn McKenny daryn at ACRA.ORG.AU
Tue May 25 06:15:44 UTC 2010

Supposedly the H4N can do it:

>From its feature list:
And it's a USB audio interface!
The H4n also functions as a USB audio interface, letting you record directly to either a Mac or PC. Use your favorite recording software or the bundled Cubase LE 4 from Steinberg, so you can start to produce and edit your recording right out of the box.

Regards

Daryn

Arwarbukarl Cultural Resource Association Inc. Trading as:
Miromaa Aboriginal Language and Technology Centre

P | 02 4927 8222    F | 02 4925 2185    E | daryn at acra.org.au    W | www.acra.org.au<http://www.acra.org.au/> & www.miromaa.com.au<http://www.miromaa.com.au/>

P  Please consider the environment before printing this email

The Arwarbukarl Cultural Resource Association Inc. respects the privacy of individuals and strives to comply with all areas of the Privacy Act. The contents of this email are intended for the purpose of the person or persons named in either the "To" or "CC" boxes of the email. Any person not named in these boxes in receipt of this email should immediately delete this email and advise the sender accordingly.

From: John Hatton [mailto:john_hatton at sil.org]
Sent: Tuesday, 25 May 2010 3:27 PM
To: Resource-Network-Linguistic-Diversity at unimelb.edu.au
Subject: USB audio input devices

Hi folks,
Can someone recommend a device for doing direct recording into a computer, at 24 bit/96 khz, using only USB 2?   The system will be used with a microphone to do the "careful speech" stage of the BOLD approach.  There seems to be some question about USB's ability to handle the load, but I'm looking for something which will work with netbooks, which don't normally come with firewire inputs.  There's a number of devices for sale with claim this ability, but, well, being in PNG, if we get ones which don't really deliver, it's an expensive mistake.

If anyone has managed to make a Zoom H4N perform this role, I'd love to hear that (that would mean one less bit of kit).

Thanks for any advice.
John Hatton
SIL Papua New Guinea<http://pnglanguages.org/>, Palaso<http://palaso.org>, & SIL International <http://sil.org> Software Development