Zoom H4N reduced pricing for those interested

Terry J. Klokeid klokeid at VICTORIA.TC.CA
Tue May 25 06:58:26 UTC 2010

Thanks for your prompt and frank response, Mark.

The only thing is,

(a) our team has never had any H2 break. That's 4 H2s that have held up over about 2 years, and they travel about a fair bit.
(b) we find the sound quality excellent
and
(c) we use the built-in mikes, not plugins.

Consideration (b) concerns me. We find the sound quality excellent - is that due to the fact that our ears are all over 60 years old?  Some being in the 75-80 year old range. Do younger ears hear differences in speech sound quality that escape us?

I could go buy an H4n tomorrow, as I'll be visiting the Big City (as we call it), but I do need to be convinced.

Dr. Terry J. Klokeid
Nuchquu-a

Adjunct Professor of Linguistics, University of Victoria
Coordinator, Nuu-chah-nulth Language Council
Developer, Huu-ay-aht Language Recovery Program

North Island College, Room S111A
3699 Roger Street
Port Alberni, BC  V9Y 8E3
250.724.8743

klokeid at uvic.ca

On 2010-05-24, at 11:19 pm, Mark Post wrote:

> In my experience, the H2 (a) is cheaply made and prone to breaking (b) has terrible inbuilt mics and (c) only has a 3.5mm input, hence requiring either an XLR->3.5mm adaptor or willingness to settle on a substandard mic. For the additional money, the H4n performs *much* better on all of these fronts. I still use H2s as emergency backups, and they are certainly nice and lightweight/small, but the H4n really does produce far, far better recordings!
> Mark
>
> On 25/05/2010 16:11, Terry J. Klokeid wrote:
>>
>> On this list, I discern an avoidance of the Zoom H2, which can be purchased for less than half what the H4 costs. Can someone please explain what  reasons there are for not using the H2.  Our language team uses H2s and we are happy with the gadget. Are we missing something?
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> On 2010-05-24, at 10:56 pm, Daryn McKenny wrote:
>>
>>> ...The Zoom [H4N ] gets mentioned a bit here, I just thought I would let you all know that our supplier in Newcastle is currently selling them for $439... This product first started at $899 then $649 and now this price, too good.
>>

> --
> Mark W. Post, PhD
> Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Anthropological Linguistics
> The Cairns Institute
> James Cook University
> QLD 4878 Australia
>
> EML: mark.post at jcu.edu.au
> TEL: +61-7-4042-1881 (AU)
> TEL: +91-97183-63544 (IN-Del)
> TEL: +91-94360-42352 (IN-NE)
>
> Web: http://jamescook.academia.edu/MarkWPost

Terry J. Klokeid
klokeid at uvic.ca

Dr. Terry J. Klokeid
Nuchquu-a

Adjunct Professor of Linguistics, University of Victoria
Coordinator, Nuu-chah-nulth Language Council
Developer, Huu-ay-aht Language Recovery Program

North Island College, Room S111A
3699 Roger Street
Port Alberni, BC  V9Y 8E3
250.724.8743