Zoom H4N reduced pricing for those interested

Greg Dickson munanga at BIGPOND.COM
Tue May 25 09:26:37 UTC 2010

I bought a H2 about a year ago and really like it and have encouraged
others to get them.  Although I haven't used the H4, things I like
about the H2 include:

- price (one advantage over the H4)
- it's an easy to use, all-in-one unit - you can make good recordings
without accessories (though headphones are always good!)
- actually... *really* easy to use (Is the H4 so straightforward?) -
this is a real advantage when training community members to get
involved in language documentation and have them start to make
recordings themselves.  Or even if they're not making recordings
themselves, you can at least de-mystify this aspect of language
documentation really easily with a H2.

My relatively young ears think the quality is great.  Okay, so I'm
not doing any spectrographic analysis, but neither are community
members I work who are more concerned with having their endangered
languages and stories documented, rather than detailed phonological
analysis.  It records in an archiving-appropriate WAV format and
sounds clear so that's good enough for me.

Unfortunately the SD card flap did break on mine but I didn't lose
the cover so am still protecting it from muck.

I'm surprised that anyone wouldn't recommend it.  I think it's a
great machine.

The only drawbacks I see are that it doesn't have an inbuilt speaker
for immediate playback and you can't scroll through recordings while
playing them back easily.  This sucks for fieldworkers trying to
transcribe texts in the field without a laptop/good electricity, but
if you can upload recordings straight onto your laptop in the field
and work on them that way then it's not really a problem.

Ngulajuku,

Greg.