Zoom H4N reduced pricing for those interested

Peter Austin pa2 at SOAS.AC.UK
Wed May 26 07:57:36 UTC 2010

Daryn

It's not just about the technology, but also about the goals (epistemology)
behind the recordings and the attention by the recorders to such things as
environment, signal-to-noise ratio, spatial locations etc. David Nathan has
written about this recently, and his paper in Language Documentation and
Description Volume 7 on audio explicitly deals with these issues.

Way back in the 1960's and 1970's linguists (and I was one of them)
generally made audio recordings as a way station to transcription, after
which the recording was put aside and no longer of interest. The audio was
merely *evidence* for creation of the linguistic analysis (or even evidence
for the fact that we had been "in the field"). So what if there was wind
noise on the tape, or microphone handling interference.

I think today within the documentary paradigm some people at least have been
thinking of recording as a way to capture (aspects of) performance, and the
recordings themselves then become crucial "resources" for the documentation
project, for creation of multimedia, for multi-disciplinary analysis. This
tension between "evidence" and "performance" is equally or even more acute
with video.

I personally am not convinced that "something is better than nothing" --
David indeed argues that not attempting to do the best we can could be seen
as unethical and disrespectful of the people who share their knowledge with
us.

But don't believe me -- read his paper.

Peter

--
Prof Peter K. Austin
Marit Rausing Chair in Field Linguistics

web: http://www.hrelp.org/aboutus/staff/index.php?cd=pa