Linguistics in the Pub Tuesday 7th December: language contact

Ruth Singer rsinger at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Mon Nov 15 02:50:46 UTC 2010

Announcement

Linguistics in the Pub (LIP) December 2010
Organised by RNLD http://www.rnld.org

Topic: Language endangerment and contact languages (discussion led by
Felicity Meakins, University of Queensland)

The focus of language documentation is generally on small exotic language
spoken in obscure locations. These languages are more often than not spoken
by marginalised groups and are endangered by larger lingua francas.
Often these lingua francas include contact languages of some sort, particularly
creole languages. In other cases, it is the creole language which is
endangered. Creole languages often suffer from a double whammy of disregard.
They are held in low regard by their speakers and speakers of the lexifier
language. So when they are endangered - do we care and should we care?

Background reading:
Garret, Paul. 2006. 'Contact languages as endangered languages: What is
there to lose.' Journal of Pidgin and Creole Languages. 21.1: 175-90