id3-style tags on Wav?

Tom Honeyman t.honeyman at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 26 00:52:51 UTC 2010

Hi Alex,

If the goal is to have ID3-like tags added to your WAV file just to
aid organising and searching your files on your own computer, you
could try using the metadata editor in the latest version of Audacity.
On my mac, metadata entered this way is then exposed when I do a
general search on the computer (using "Spotlight"). From there I can
do all sorts of fancy things with custom searches and smart folders.

Apparently some but not all audio players and editors support the
format of metadata used in Audacity, called RIFF LIST/INFO chunks. I
don't think that iTunes supports it for instance. I'm not sure, but I
don't think WinAmp does either! Many audio organising apps actually
don't store metadata within the WAV file (iTunes doesn't for instance).

The WAV format actually allows you to add as many (meta-)data chunks
within a file as you like. BWF and RIFF LIST/INFO are really the only
two formats which have recognition as standards (BWF much more so). So
support for both is a little patchy (BWF is trickier to implement from
memory because, for instance, it includes a checksum, so that you know
when a file's metadata has been edited).

My advice would be to find the audio player/organiser you like, or
experiment with your particular operating system's ability to find
metadata in either type of WAV file, and then run with either a BWF
metadata editor (as already suggested) or Audacity - whichever fits
your needs (and recognises either of the metadata formats).

Anyone want to suggest a metadata friendly audio player/organiser
(e.g. iTunes)?

Cheers,

Tom