Fwd: Endangered Alphabets Project

Lila San Roque lila.san.roque at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 27 20:13:38 UTC 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brookes, Tim <brookes at champlain.edu>
Date: Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 4:50 PM
Subject: NOPE  Post for list
To: "nope at usp.ac.fj" <nope at usp.ac.fj>

Dear Colleagues,

Having finished my original Endangered Alphabets Project (see
http://www.endangeredalphabets.com), I'm now starting a similar
carving project whose aim once again is to draw attention to the
world's vanishing scripts-and I need your help.

The project will have many different outcomes. If all goes well, it
will result in endangered scripts being combined with an endangered
languages poetry project, being carved and displayed throughout the
U.S. and in other countries, and even being projected onto the sides
of major U.S. buildings.

For this to happen, though, I need to be in touch with people who can
read and write these disappearing scripts well enough to be able to
translate a short text for me.

Here are the scripts in which I am especially interested, and as yet
have nobody who can act as a translator:

Redjang
Bamum
Balinese
Manchu
Nushu
Ranjana/Lantsa
N'Ko
Buhid
Tai Dam
Javanese
Maldivian/Thaana

If you happen to be able to read and write in one or more of these
scripts and are interested in joining me in this project by
translating a four-line poem, please contact me at
brookes at champlain.edu. Needless to say, I'll credit you in all written
materials.

If you think you may know of someone else who may be able to help,
please forward this appeal to him or her.

Thanks so much, and best wishes,
Tim Brookes
brookes at champlain.edu