id3-style tags on Wav?

Nick Thieberger thien at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Thu Nov 25 08:26:35 UTC 2010

Alex,

All audio files in PARADISEC are in BWF (that Bartek referred to), the
European standard for archived audio files. Specified bits of metadata
from the catalog get exported into a small xml file that is placed
into the wrapper of the audio file and then 'sealed' in an automated
process. I think there are various software tools will read and write
BWF headers (BWF MetaEdit is free). You can choose what goes into the
header, but it is limited in length (there are specifications for what
it can contain). As you say, the advantage is that, should files
become orphaned from the catalog, they still have identifying
information embedded in them.

Nick