example sentences in a dictionary

Laura C Robinson lcrobinson at ALASKA.EDU
Tue Oct 19 20:09:15 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I am wondering about formatting example sentences in a dictionary.
This dictionary is aimed at linguistic audiences (it will be bundled
with the grammar, and it is written in English, which no Agta people
speak yet).  In the grammar section, I used - for a morpheme boundary
and = for a clitic boundary.  So, should the example sentences in the
dictionary be broken down in the same way?  Or not at all?  Or some
other way (although I would like to do something that isn't too
inconsistent with the grammar section)?

abad
iabad v. tie something around waist

Obus pag-man, ni-abad=na i arikawat=na

OR

Obus pagman, niabadna i arikawatna.
'After chewing betel, he tied his betel nut pack around his waist.'

This sentence has a very typical amount of morphology.

Thanks,
Laura
--
Laura C. Robinson