example sentences in a dictionary

Murray Garde murraygarde at OZEMAIL.COM.AU
Sun Oct 24 01:37:31 UTC 2010

Hi All,
For those of you who haven't come across it amongst the ever-increasing number of resources for lexicography (including the various journals devoted to problems in dictionary design), a very useful resource for smaller endangered languages, which considers in greater depth all of the issues in this thread (dictionary audience dilemmas, how much morphology to represent in entries etc), is the 2002 volume 'Making Dictionaries: Preserving Indigenous Languages of the Americas' edited by Frawley, Hill and Munro. Although it is focused on American languages, I have also found it very useful for the problems thrown up by lexicography for polysynthetic or otherwise agglutinative languages of northern Australia.

I just love the introduction, which sets the tone with tales of 'impossibility and thanklessness' evident in 'lexicographic war stories' of dictionary making veterans.

regards,
Murray

Dr Murray Garde
Kunwinjku Language Project