New play addresses indigenous language issues

Jeanie Bell jeanie.bell at BATCHELOR.EDU.AU
Mon Oct 25 05:40:16 UTC 2010

Hi Everyone
Just a bit of extra information this play Mother's Tongue was written by my daughter Kamarra Bell Wykes.  I will be looking forward to some reveiws of the show for those who manage to see it.

Cheers
Jeanie Bell

________________________________

From: RNLD Admin [mailto:contact.rnld at gmail.com]
Sent: Mon 10/25/2010 8:37 AM
To: r-n-l-d at unimelb.edu.au
Subject: New play addresses indigenous language issues

Dear RNLDers,

A new play by the Yirra Yakin Aboriginal Corporation opens in Perth next week. Mother's Tongue <http://www.yirrayaakin.com.au/-MOTHER-S-TONGUE-.html>  is a contemporary Indigenous story about David and Ngala, a brother and sister trying to find their way in life after the death of their grandmother, the keeper of secrets and last custodian of the knowledge of a whole language group. After her death, David is the only person left alive that can speak his mother's tongue.

Mother's Tongue will play from 29 October - 20 November 2010 at YY Theatre Space, 65 Murray Street, Perth.

kind regards,
--
Resource Network for Linguistic Diversity
www.rnld.org <http://www.rnld.org/>

Directors
Margaret Florey
Nick Thieberger