Participant consent and metadata, analyses

John Olstad jtolstad at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 24 10:44:31 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I'm new to the list.  I have a question about participant consent that
differs a little bit from the most recent thread.

We ask participants for their permission to record their likeness and then
often offer an as-fine-grained-as-necessary set of options to protect and
respect their contributions.  Typically we are talking about audio, video,
photographs and sometimes local stories and oral histories that may have,
for example, implications on land ownership and what not.  What about
analyses and metadata?  Can these be shared freely with other researchers?
More importantly, can these be made completely public (say on a website or
via dropbox) without permission, or is it of similar importance to keep
these things protected with the rest?

I appreciate anyone who would share thier opinion with me on this.

Thanks,

John Olstad