Participant consent and metadata, analyses

Steven Bird stevenbird1 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 27 04:21:46 UTC 2010

On 26 September 2010 12:54, Claire Bowern <clairebowern at gmail.com> wrote:
> Permission to release metadata should definitely be sought from
> participants before any of it is put on the web or shared.

I don't think it's as black-and-white as this.  Posting personal
information on the web is very different to telling a colleague you
recorded a frog story from some language.  It would be unfortunate if
the legitimate need to protect "personal identifying information"
prevented widespread dissemination of generic information about the
resources that have been collected for a language.  (I think most IRBs
require PII to be stored separately to other project records.)

-Steven Bird