low power consumption laptops

John Hatton john_hatton at sil.org
Fri Apr 15 22:39:53 UTC 2011

>> For comparison, a 19V netbook still has a 40W draw...

Up in SIL PNG, power consumption is very important as we help PNG
communities develop their own computing capacity with only solar panels.  We
find that while each model has different power characteristics, 9-14 watts
is more like what we've come to expect.  The models are constantly changing,
but if you're like a specific, current recommendation, I can tap SIL's
active "Low Power" email list and get some for you.  What screen size do you
want?  Single or Dual core? Gloss or Matte screen?  I can't vouch for the
19v laptop-working-off-12v claim... is that important to you, or would it be
ok to add a "car adaptor"?

John Hatton
SIL Papua New Guinea, Palaso, & SIL International Software Development