low power consumption laptops

Denny Moore moore at amazon.com.br
Sun Apr 17 18:00:44 UTC 2011

Well, we haven't tested the netbooks to see if
they operate on 12 V DC, but we did test a light
Vaio notebook, a VGN-SZ450N, which uses input
voltage of 19,5 V.  It would not run on
15V.  With an adapter to fit the input plug it
would take solar energy of 18-20 V directly and
function.  However, for some reason, only about
1/3 of the watt-hours delivered to the input are
saved in the battery (our measurements), and that
is independent of whether the notebook is
switched on or not.  This is quite bad for use
with solar energy.  For charging laptops from 12
V DC current there are DC adapters, for example
those made by Kensington, that increase the
voltage till it is appropriate for a particular
model of a laptop.  These have worked well for us
and are probably more efficient than using an
inverter to produce AC current and then the
transformer of the laptop to convert the AC
current back to DC.  Another laptop, whose brand
I don't recall, would accept 18V solar energy
directly into its input but would not run below a
certain number of watts.  When the wattage was
too low the laptop thought that the transformer
was defective and an amber light would come on
and the machine would not run.

The general point is that one would want to test
the particular netbook model to confirm that it
works with lower voltage, since this is not the
case with at least some notebooks.

One device that is useful for storing solar or
other energy and supplying it to devices such as
notebooks is the Tekkeon MP3450 rechargeable
lithium battery with adjustable voltage
output.  It holds about 50-60 watt-hours and can
supply any laptop (or camcorder) if the right tip
is used.  There is an optional attachable second
battery, a mate to the first, which doubles the
storage capacity.  The only problem we have had
with these is that when 85-90% full they become
harder to charge, though that effect  seems to
disappear by the next day.  That is, the other
10-15% enters normally the next day.

Hope this is useful.

Denny Moore
Belém, Brazil