low power consumption laptops

John Hatton john_hatton at sil.org
Mon Apr 18 06:28:49 UTC 2011

Ok, digging through the Low Power list, I see the following about ASUS
netbooks, from a colleague working up in Bougainville.

>"The advertising on the 1215P does not claim the long battery life as does
the 1015P.  With that detail missing, I should not expect the netbook to be
light on power consumption.  The 1215P runs about 11 to 12 watts.  I have
seen my UL80VT sipping less power than that at times even though it has a 14
inch screen.  My 13-inch Asus UL30A (13" screen, no Nvidia graphics card,
dual core processor ULV 7300) running Ubuntu 10.04, runs around 9-10W,
except when I'm accessing a wireless network, when it spikes up to 13-14,
but if I smooth the line out it still averages 10W or less even through
those spikes. It does last around 10 hours; could be more with Windows 7, I
guess."

John Hatton
SIL Papua New Guinea, Palaso, & SIL International Software Development
Chat Google Talk: hattonjohn Skype: hattonjohn Google Wave:
hattonjohn at googlewave.com

We
> find that while each model has different power characteristics, 9-14 watts
is
> more like what we've come to expect.  The models are constantly changing,
but
> if you're like a specific, current recommendation, I can tap SIL's active
"Low
> Power" email list and get some for you.  What screen size do you want?
Single