low power consumption laptops

Xavier Barker meibitobure.gaunibwe at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 22:18:46 UTC 2011

Hi Matthew,

It was almost certainly me that said that 19V netbooks will run happily on 12V DC.  And yes, that means you don't need an adaptor.  ONe that I have a fair amount of experience with is the AspireOne 753 - it's a little over 10", so it's definitely in sub-notebook territory.

When it comes to actual power consumption versus battery life, no - they're not the same.  As a Mac user, a great (expensive) option is the Macbook Air 11".  Idle, with the display on, it draws less than 10W on 230V. A gorilla charger might be the way with this.  The difference in battery life/power consumption can be seen in the move from the 2008-2010 Macbook Pro Air: The same processor on the newer MBA uses 25% less power than it did on the older one.  The battery is better AND the magsafe charger is more efficient AND other parts are designed to use less power.

For comparison, a 19V netbook still has a 40W draw, compared to the 16V/45W Macbook Air.

Is that info of any use?

Cheers,
Xavier