Indigenous Language Revitalization: Assistant Professor, University of Victoria, BC, Canada

Lila San Roque lila.san.roque at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 10:20:26 UTC 2011

http://linguistlist.org/issues/22/22-3136.html

University or Organization: University of Victoria
Department: Department of Linguistics
Job Location: British Columbia, Canada
Web Address: http://web.uvic.ca/ling/
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Indigenous Language Revitalization

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Victoria invites
applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Indigenous
Language Revitalization, effective 1 July 2012. By the time of appointment,
applicants are expected to have a PhD in Linguistics (or equivalent) with a
specialization in Indigenous Language Revitalization. Within this
specialization, preferred research sub-specializations include
community-based research, language documentation, ethnographic
sociolinguistics, first or second language acquisition processes,
semantics, psycholinguistics or language cognition. We are seeking
candidates with leadership experience in Indigenous language revitalization
programs, an excellent record of scholarly achievement, and a commitment to
excellence in undergraduate and graduate teaching.

The responsibilities of this position include MA and PhD student
supervision and the teaching of courses in our undergraduate and graduate
programs in Linguistics and in the BEd, BA, Certificate and MA programs in
Indigenous Language Revitalization. Our department has particular strengths
in linguistic description, speech production and perception, second
language and applied linguistics research, community-based research, and
languages of the Pacific Rim, including Asian and North American languages.
We seek an individual with the ability to contribute strongly to the
research profile of the Department and its administrative functions.
Collaborative, interdisciplinary research, teaching, and program
development are also encouraged.

Applicants should send, in hard copy, a letter of application, curriculum
vitae, 2-4 publication samples, copies of teaching evaluations, and the
names and e-mail addresses of three referees to the application address
below.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance
with Canadian Immigration requirements, Canadian citizens and permanent
residents will be given priority.

Application Deadline: 20-Oct-2011
Mailing Address for Applications:
Prof. John Esling