The pain of being a linguist in the terms of the ATO

Dr K.J. Olawsky kj.olawsky at westnet.com.au
Sun Aug 21 10:55:18 UTC 2011

Dear RNLD-ers

I thought I needed to share this as I've just completed my annual tax return
using eTax. Year after year I am annoyed by the fact that I don't know what
a linguist is to make of the drop-down menu in the software - you must have
the same problem! Are you also wondering whether to call yourself a
translator, a scientist (life sciences?), speech pathologist or a university
lecturer if none of these actually fits? One somewhat feels tempted to just
go with "officer", though this is so much less exciting than (more
citations) "dog racing judge", "airworthiness surveyor", or "powder money"
(no joke).

Anyway, this year I could not resist and sent the ATO a complaint through
their online contact form -here's a little excerpt:

". puzzled by ATO's comprehensive list of recognised professions while it
fails to include professions of people who work with languages, such as
"linguist" or "language professional/language consultant". I am bemused to
see that your job can be an archbishop or imam, bungy jump master, bingo
caller or prostitute (with the generalisation of sex worker and
specifications such as stripper, escort girl and brothel keeper), not to
mention egg grader and TV announcer (how many are there in Australia?) - The
department's sense for detail must be admired! How could it be possible that
when it comes to working with languages no profession is listed at all? I
consider this pure ignorance and a surprising fact that a multicultural and
multilingual society would fail to include individuals who deal with this
diversity. In academic circles, linguists hold regular conferences and
workshops, they join in professional associations and they run
language-related services all over the country. No doubt everybody knows
what an "otorhinolaryngologist" is (as listed in eTax) but at least
"linguist" is easier to spell! In fact, I hope to find someone within the
ATO who realises that working with languages is a productive part of our
society. .."

Perhaps if a few more of us sent in some feedback to the ATO we might have
"linguist" included next year . - here's a link to their online complaint
form:

https://olt.ato.gov.au/feedback/Complaints.asp?sid=1512266

I hope I'm not abusing the forum while we should be talking about linguistic
diversity but in the terms of the ATO it seems that linguists haven't even
been born yet!

Enjoy your Sunday   ;->

Knut

Dr Knut J. Olawsky